Donousa is a small island located in the Aegean Sea, part of the Cyclades island group in Greece. The island is known for its picturesque villages, crystal-clear waters, and tranquil atmosphere. The port of Donousa is a small harbor located on the eastern side of the island, where boats and ferries dock to transport visitors to and from the island. The port is shallow and can only accommodate small boats, making it an ideal spot for yachts and fishing boats. Visitors can enjoy the quaint surroundings of the port, which includes a few tavernas, cafes, and shops selling local products. The port area offers stunning views of the blue sea, and visitors can enjoy walking along the shoreline or taking a dip in the refreshing waters. The port of Donousa is a perfect gateway to explore the island's natural beauty and discover its hidden gems.
Things to do in Donousa
Donousa is a small island located in the Aegean Sea and is part of the Cyclades Islands in Greece. It is a place where time seems to stand still, with crystal-clear waters, hidden coves, and peaceful beaches that are perfect for those who want to escape the crowds of more touristy destinations. Here are some activities that visitors can enjoy while visiting Donousa:
1. Explore the Whitewashed Villages - Donousa has some picturesque whitewashed villages such as Stavros, Mersini, and Kedros. Exploring these villages is a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture and architecture of the island.
2. Relax on the Beaches - The island of Donousa boasts some of the most stunning beaches in Greece, including Kedros, Livadi, and Stavros Beach. These clean and unspoiled beaches offer crystal-clear waters and are perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and relaxation.
3. Visit the Venetian Castle Ruins - Donousa's Venetian Castle, also known as the Kastro, is a must-visit for history buffs. The castle is situated on top of a hill and offers breathtaking views of the island and the sea.
4. Try Local Cuisine – Donousa is known for its local gastronomy, which includes fresh seafood, goat meat, and local cheese (mizithra). Make sure to try traditional dishes such as fava, tomato fritters, and stuffed vine leaves.
5. Hiking and Trekking – Donousa has beautiful trails and paths that are perfect for exploration on foot. Visitors can explore the island's natural beauty, take in stunning views and discover hidden gems along the way.
6. Visit the Cave of Sapounochoma – This natural cave is a popular attraction on Donousa. With colorful rock formations, beautiful natural pools and a unique ambiance, this is a great place to explore for those who love to discover natural wonders.
7. Swimming in Caves – Donousa has many natural caves that are perfect for swimming and diving. Some of the more popular caves for swimming include Fonias and Spilia Tou Drakou.
Donousa is a place of natural beauty, history, and authentic Greek culture. Visitors can enjoy a peaceful holiday while immersing themselves in the local way of life.
Getting around in Donousa
To get around in Donousa Greece, visitors can use the island's public transportation system, consisting of buses and taxis. Public buses are available at regular intervals, which connect the main port and the Chora village with the beaches and other attractions on the island. Taxis are also available but may be more expensive than the buses. Another popular way to explore Donousa is by renting a scooter or a quad bike, which allows visitors to venture off the beaten path and discover hidden spots on the island. However, visitors should note that Donousa has narrow and winding roads, so caution should be exercised while driving.