The port of Mytilini is located on the island of Lesvos in Greece and is one of the largest and busiest ports in the Aegean Sea. It serves as a major gateway to the island, with ferries and cruise ships arriving and departing regularly. The port has a long history, dating back to ancient times, and is now a modern and well-equipped facility. The port area is bustling with activity, with shops, restaurants, and cafes lining the waterfront. There are also nearby attractions to explore, such as the Castle of Mytilene and the Roman Aqueduct. Overall, the port of Mytilini is a vital transport hub and an interesting destination to visit.
Things to do in Mytilini
Mytilini, also known as Lesvos, is a beautiful Greek island that offers a variety of activities for tourists to enjoy. Whether you are interested in history, culture, or simply soaking up the sun on a picturesque beach, there is something for everyone to do in Mytilini. Below are some of the best things to do when visiting this charming island:
1. Visit the Castle of Mytilene: This impressive castle dates back to the Byzantine period and is considered to be one of the most significant attractions in the island.
2. Explore the Archaeological Museum: Located in the heart of Mytilini, this museum showcases the history of the island and hosts an impressive collection of artifacts dating back to ancient times.
3. Stroll through the Old Town: Take a leisurely walk through the winding cobblestone streets of Mytilini's Old Town and admire the beautiful architecture, quaint cafes, and lively street markets.
4. Visit the Petrified Forest: This unique geological site is located on the western part of the island and includes fossilized tree trunks that are estimated to be over 20 million years old.
5. Take a dip in the Therma Hot Springs: Located near the village of Thermi, these natural hot springs are believed to have healing properties and are a popular destination for tourists seeking relaxation.
6. Enjoy the beaches: There are numerous beaches scattered throughout the island, each with its unique charm and beauty. Some of the most popular beaches include Petra, Molivos, and Skala Kallonis.
7. Taste local cuisine: Mytilini offers a wide range of culinary delights, including fresh seafood, regional cheeses, and traditional sweets like nougats and baklava.
8. Go birdwatching: Mytilini is home to a diverse array of bird species, including flamingos, pelicans, and various types of raptors.
9. Take a boat tour: Explore the island's coastline on a boat tour, which can include stops at secluded beaches, hidden coves, and charming fishing villages.
Whether you are a history buff, a foodie, or simply seeking relaxation, Mytilini offers something for everyone to enjoy. Plan your trip to this idyllic island and experience all that it has to offer.
Getting around in Mytilini
To get around in Mytilini (Lesvos) Greece, visitors can take a local bus or a taxi. The bus services run regularly around town and to neighboring villages, and tickets can be purchased at the bus station or onboard. Taxis are also readily available and can be flagged down on the street or booked through a taxi company. For those who prefer to explore on foot, Mytilini's historic center is easily walkable, and there are several pedestrianized streets lined with shops, cafes, and restaurants. Alternatively, renting a car or a scooter is an excellent way to explore the island's many attractions, including its beautiful beaches, picturesque villages, and ancient ruins.