The port of Bastia is a charming fishing village-turned-seaport located in the island of Corsica, France. It is a bustling hub for both commercial and passenger ships, linking the island to mainland France and other Mediterranean ports. The port is known for its stunning views of the Mediterranean Sea, its historic architecture, and its vibrant culture which reflects the rich history of the island. Visitors can enjoy the local seafood at its many restaurants, explore the lively markets and shops, relax on the beach, or take a stroll along the picturesque promenade. The port of Bastia is a gateway to a magnificent island which offers visitors an unforgettable experience.
Things to do in Bastia (Corsica)
Bastia is a charming city located on the northeastern coast of the island of Corsica in France. This historic destination offers a rich cultural heritage, stunning architecture, and wonderful cuisine. Whether you are a history buff, a food enthusiast, or a nature lover, Bastia has something in store for everyone. Here are some of the best things to do in Bastia:
1. Visit the Citadel: This impressive fortress is a must-visit attraction in Bastia. You can explore the ancient walls, towers, and gates, and enjoy sweeping views of the city and the sea.
2. Wander around the Old Town: The charming narrow streets of the Old Town are home to many historic buildings, cafes, and shops. Take a leisurely walk and soak in the relaxed atmosphere.
3. Discover the Genoese Governors' Palace: This striking palace is now home to the Musée de Bastia, a fascinating museum showcasing Corsican art, history, and culture.
4. Admire the Sainte-Marie Cathedral: This 16th-century church is an outstanding example of baroque architecture, featuring a beautiful façade, a grand nave, and exquisite furnishings.
5. Enjoy a seafood feast: Bastia is renowned for its fresh seafood, and there are many fantastic restaurants and bistros where you can savor delicious Corsican cuisine.
6. Go for a swim at Arinella Beach: This fantastic beach is located just a few kilometers from the city center and offers clear turquoise waters, fine sand, and plenty of amenities.
7. Walk along the Chemin des Douaniers: This picturesque coastal trail offers breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea and the Corsican landscape, and is a great way to explore the natural beauty of the area.
8. Attend the Fiera di u Vinu: This annual festival celebrates Corsican wine and features tastings, music, and traditional dancing. It is a great opportunity to experience the local culture and socialize with the friendly locals.
Bastia is a fantastic destination that offers a perfect blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. So plan your visit now and explore this enchanting city!
Getting around in Bastia (Corsica)
Bastia, situated in the beautiful island of Corsica, offers several convenient options to get around the city. If you prefer to walk, the city centre area is relatively small and easy to navigate. Alternatively, there are several bus services available that run to different parts of Bastia, and they are affordable too. The buses start and end at the main square of the city, Place Saint-Nicolas. Taxis are also available in Bastia, and they are a quicker option for travel around the city. However, avoid using taxis during rush hour as the traffic can be quite heavy. If you're feeling adventurous and want to explore the city on your own, consider renting a car or scooter, which would allow you to visit the outskirts of the city too.