Bonifacio is a beautiful port town located on the southern tip of the French island of Corsica, but it belongs to Italy. The port of Bonifacio is a popular tourist destination due to its stunning natural beauty, white cliffs, crystal-clear waters, and rich history. Built in the 12th century, the port of Bonifacio is steeped in history, and it offers visitors a glimpse into traditional Mediterranean culture. The port is a busy gateway to the island of Corsica, with many cruise ships docking here, allowing tourists to take in the stunning views and explore the town's quaint streets and historic buildings. There is a fantastic range of bars, restaurants and cafes overlooking the port, where one can relax and soak up the atmosphere. The port of Bonifacio is an ideal destination for those looking for a mix of history, culture, and natural beauty.
Things to do in Bonifacio (Corsica)
Bonifacio, a beautiful town located at the southern tip of Corsica, Italy, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the region. With its stunning natural landscape, rich history, and cultural heritage, Bonifacio offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Here are some of the top things to do in and around Bonifacio:
1. Visit the Citadel: The ancient citadel of Bonifacio is a must-visit for history buffs. Built in the 9th century, the citadel offers breathtaking views of the sea and the town.
2. Explore the old town: The narrow streets of the old town are steeped in history and are home to a number of charming cafes, restaurants, and shops.
3. Go for a boat tour: A boat tour around the beautiful coastline of Bonifacio is a great way to experience the town from a different perspective. You can also visit the nearby Lavezzi Islands, which are a popular destination for snorkeling and diving.
4. Visit the King of Aragon's Stairway: The King of Aragon's Stairway is a stunning natural landmark that leads down to the sea. It is said that the stairway was built by the king himself to provide a safe passage for his troops during a siege.
5. Relax on the beaches: Bonifacio is home to some of the most beautiful beaches in Corsica, including the stunning Plage de Piantarella and the secluded Rondinara beach.
6. Go for a hike: The surrounding countryside offers numerous hiking trails that lead through forests, hills, and rocky terrain. Some of the most popular hiking destinations include the nearby Aiguilles de Bavella and the Bonifacio cliffs.
7. Taste the local cuisine: Corsican cuisine is known for its rich flavors and fresh ingredients, and Bonifacio offers a wide range of restaurants and cafes serving up traditional dishes like wild boar stew, charcuterie, and seafood.
8. Visit Bonifacio's churches: Bonifacio has a number of beautiful churches that are worth a visit, including the 12th-century Église Sainte-Marie-Majeure and the Chapel of Santa Reparata, which is built into the cliff face.
Overall, Bonifacio is a charming and fascinating destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or just soaking up the Mediterranean sun, Bonifacio is sure to exceed your expectations.
Getting around in Bonifacio (Corsica)
To get around in Bonifacio, Corsica-Italy, the best option would be to rent a car or a scooter, which can be easily arranged from the town center. One can also use public transportation in the form of buses, which operate frequently between the town center and nearby destinations. Boat tours are also available to explore the coastline and nearby islands. Walking is a great way to explore the narrow alleys and historical areas of the town. Bonifacio is a small town, so walking around is the easiest and the most efficient way to get around the town. Hiring a bicycle is also a fantastic way to explore the surroundings, particularly the countryside.