Karystos is a beautiful port town located on the southern part of the island of Euboea in Greece. The port of Karystos is a bustling hub of activity, with fishing boats, tourist boats and yachts of all shapes and sizes moored at its docks. It is a popular destination for those looking to explore the hidden treasures of Euboea, such as the crystal clear waters of the Aegean Sea, numerous sandy beaches, and the ancient ruins of the Temple of Poseidon. The town itself offers a plethora of cafes, restaurants and taverns serving fresh seafood, traditional Greek dishes and locally produced wines. The port of Karystos is an excellent base from which to explore the region and experience the authentic Greek way of life.
Things to do in Karystos
Karystos is a scenic town located in the southern part of the island of Evia in Greece. This beautiful town has a rich history dating back to ancient times and is surrounded by stunning landscapes, crystal clear waters and mountain ranges that provide the perfect backdrop for some great outdoor activities. Here are some of the top things to do in Karystos.
1. Visit the Castle of Karystos: This medieval castle is one of the main attractions in the town and dates back to the Byzantine period.
2. Explore the Karystos Archaeological Museum: Learn about the ancient history of the area and the various artifacts that have been unearthed over the years.
3. Swim at the beautiful beaches: Karystos is known for its beautiful beaches, including Megali Ammos, Marmari, and Kavos beach.
4. Hike through the Karystos Gorge: This beautiful natural landmark provides some stunning views and is a must-visit for nature lovers.
5. Take a boat tour to the nearby islands: The town is surrounded by beautiful islands, including Palaia Styra, which can be visited on a boat tour.
6. Visit the Church of Agia Paraskevi: This beautiful, Byzantine-style church is worth a visit for its stunning architecture and beautiful interior.
7. Go windsurfing or kiteboarding: With its strong winds, Karystos is an ideal destination for windsurfing or kiteboarding enthusiasts.
8. Explore the town's traditional tavernas and cafes: Experience the local cuisine and relax in the town's charming cafes and tavernas.
9. Attend the annual revival of the Karystos Carnival: This event takes place every year during the carnival season and features a parade and other festivities.
10. Visit the Dimosari waterfalls: Located just outside the town, these natural waterfalls are a great place to cool off and enjoy the beauty of the surrounding landscape.
Getting around in Karystos
Getting around in Karystos, Greece is relatively easy. The town is small and walkable, making it perfect for a leisurely stroll. To explore the surrounding areas, renting a bike or scooter is a popular option. Taxis are also available and typically affordable. There are several bus routes connecting Karystos to other towns on the island. It’s important to keep in mind that many roads in Karystos are narrow and winding, so it’s important to drive carefully. Furthermore, parking in the town center can be a challenge during peak tourist season, so it may be best to park outside of the town and walk in. Overall, getting around in Karystos can be an adventure in itself and offers many opportunities to explore this beautiful region of Greece.