Savona is a city on the northwest coast of Italy, situated near the border with France. The port of Savona is one of the most important ports in Italy, serving as a major hub for trade and transportation in the region. It is located along the Ligurian Sea, in a strategic location that provides easy access to major shipping routes. The port handles a diverse range of cargo, including containers, bulk and liquid materials, and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities for loading and unloading ships. With its strategic location and advanced infrastructure, the port of Savona serves as a vital link in the global supply chain, connecting Italy to the rest of the world.
Things to do in Savona
Savona is a charming city located on the Ligurian coast of Italy, famous for its beautiful beaches, rich history, and stunning architecture. Whether you are a history buff, a foodie or just looking for a relaxing holiday, Savona has plenty to offer. Here’s a list of things you can do in Savona, Italy.
1. Stroll along the historic streets of the Old Town and admire the Renaissance buildings, ancient churches, and crypts.
2. Visit the Palazzo Della Rovere, a stunning 16th-century palace that now serves as a museum showcasing local art and history.
3. Take a tour of the Priamar Fortress, a huge complex dating back to the 16th century, which now houses the Archaeological Museum.
4. Check out the waterfront area of Vado Ligure, which is famous for its fresh seafood restaurants and charming seaside promenade.
5. Explore the pristine beaches of Savona, such as the long sandy beach of Le Officine or the quieter cove of Bagnarola.
6. Take a day trip to Genoa, just a half-hour train ride away, known for its impressive historic center and world-class aquarium.
7. Enjoy a hike in the nearby hills of Liguria or go on a bike ride along the Ligurian coast.
8. Indulge in local delicacies like focaccia, pesto, and farinata, and explore the local markets selling fresh produce.
9. Visit the Cattedrale dell'Assunta, a magnificent Gothic church that dates back to the 16th century.
10. Attend one of the many local festivals, such as the Festival della Migliaccio or the Fiera di San Michele, celebrating the region's culture and traditions.
Savona is a charming and diverse city that offers plenty of experiences for every type of traveler. From wandering the historic streets to exploring the surrounding countryside, the city is a rich tapestry waiting to be discovered.
Getting around in Savona
Getting around in Savona, Italy is fairly easy as the city is relatively small and easily walkable. The historic center is pedestrianized, so walking is the best way to explore this part of the town. There are also various public transportation options such as buses and trains for travelling to nearby areas. Savona has an efficient bike share system, which is a great and affordable way to sightsee within the city. Taxis are easily available but can be quite expensive. To explore the nearby coastal areas, hiring a car is a great option for tourists. Overall, Savona offers multiple options of getting around so that tourists can explore the beauty of the city in a hassle-free way.