The port of Souvala is located on the north coast of the Greek island of Aegina. It is a small, picturesque port, with a long quay lined with traditional Greek tavernas and cafes. The port is mainly used for ferry services to and from Athens and Piraeus, making it a popular destination for day trippers and holidaymakers. The village of Souvala is a charming and peaceful place, perfect for those looking for a more relaxed holiday experience, away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist crowds.
Things to do in Souvala
Aegina is a beautiful island located in the Saronic Gulf of Greece. One of the most popular areas on the island is Souvala, which is known for its vibrant culture, stunning beaches, and delicious cuisine. Whether you are a nature lover, history buff, or just looking for a relaxing getaway, Souvala has something for everyone. Here are some of the best things to do in Souvala:
1. Visit the Temple of Aphaia: One of the most iconic landmarks on the island is the Temple of Aphaia. This ancient temple is dedicated to the goddess Aphaia and is believed to have been built in the 6th century BC.
2. Relax on the Beach: With its crystal-clear waters and sandy shores, Souvala Beach is a perfect place to unwind and soak up the sun. The beach is also great for water sports, such as swimming, snorkeling, and windsurfing.
3. Take a Hike: The island of Aegina is known for its stunning natural beauty, and Souvala is no exception. Take a hike along one of the many trails that wind through the hills and valleys, and take in the breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside.
4. Explore Ancient Ruins: For history enthusiasts, there are plenty of ancient ruins to explore in Souvala. The most famous is the Temple of Aphaia, but there are also ancient watchtowers, fortresses, and other architectural wonders to discover.
5. Sample Local Cuisine: Greek cuisine is world-renowned, and Souvala is no exception. Sample local specialties such as souvlaki, moussaka, and tzatziki, and wash them down with a glass of local wine or ouzo.
6. Attend a Festival: Souvala is known for its vibrant festivals, which celebrate everything from religious holidays to local traditions. Join in the festivities, dance to traditional music, and experience the rich culture of the island.
7. Visit a Vineyard: The island of Aegina is famous for its vineyards and produces some of the best wines in Greece. Take a tour of a local vineyard, taste some of the delicious wines, and learn about the history and traditions of winemaking on the island.
8. Take a Boat Tour: Many boat tours depart from Souvala, offering visitors a chance to explore the stunning coastline, visit secluded beaches, and even swim in crystal-clear waters.
Whether you are looking for adventure, relaxation, or just a chance to experience the rich culture and history of Greece, Souvala is the perfect destination. So pack your bags and head to this beautiful island paradise today!
Getting around in Souvala
Souvala is a small but charming town on the Greek island of Aegina. To explore Souvala, you can rent a car, motorbike, or a bicycle. If you prefer not to drive, there are regular buses that operate within the town and to other parts of the island. Taxis are also readily available. Walking is also a great way to soak in the local atmosphere and discover hidden gems. Souvala has a beautiful beach that you can easily get to on foot. Additionally, you can take a boat from the harbor to nearby beaches and attractions. Overall, Souvala has different transportation options to suit different interests and preferences.